Friday, August 01, 2003

What Vit wants but just can't GET, (in Portugal)

This is a list of foodish things I can't get here in Portugal, or rather, that I haven't been able to find. Just so you know. Just so you can feel sorry for me. OR, if anyone out there knows where I can get such things in the Metropolitan Lisbon Area LET ME KNOW, PLLLLEASE! There are some things on the list that I know I'll never be able to find, like decent cream, clotted or double, and that depresses me more than I can tell you.

Lemon grass,
Galangal,
Sichuan pepper,
Thai Fish Sauce (Nam Pla)
Spring Onions (I have found them once, by accident, in the last five years)
Golden syrup (is that corn syrup in US? not sure)
Double cream
Clotted cream
Bacon (like we NORTHERN Europeans eat it, all moist, big and wonderful, so far I have only found it in the El Corte Ingles "Foreign Food" fairs)
Heinz Baked Beans, (I know they're out there, but all my local supermarkets have given them up, all other brands just DON'T cut it)
Brown sauce
OXO cubes of all kinds (I don't care what nigella, nigel, jamie or any of the bloody groovy chefs say, THEY ARE USEFUL!)

That's today's list. There are many more things, but with this heat my brain ain't working. Anyone know, let ME know!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home